Sunday, October 17, 2010

Really Easy One-Pot Vegan Tomato Veggie Quinoa Soup

It's not quite cold enough for soup yet, but I couldn't wait any longer. Made this soup last night. It's thicker than most soups, so use more water if you prefer a soupy soup.

Throw the following into a soup pot and bring to a boil:

  • About 3 cups water
  • 1 - 28oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 - 14oz can diced tomatoes (not drained)
  • About 24 oz frozen mixed veggies (I used a mix of broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, green beans, zucchini, peas, and something yellow)
  • Basil, oregano, and parsley - I think I used about 1 tbsp each
  • Onion powder - I think I used 1-2 tsps
  • Many cloves of minced garlic - I probably used 6-8 cloves
  • 1 cup quinoa (rinsed unless you buy Bob's Red Mill)
Once it comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Simmer until quinoa is done -- the middle of each grain will become translucent and a little hook, or tail, will pop out of one side. They'll be firm but not crunchy. I think it takes about 15 minutes, just enough time to heat up a multigrain baguette!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Delicious! Nate and I make a really tasty quinoa soup too, and with the weather changing it's just about time to whip up a batch...