Saturday, September 12, 2009

$100 for 100 strips

I had to buy test strips for my glucose meter the other day. They were $100 for 100 strips. ?!?!?!?!

We have the money to spend on these. But what about people who don't? What do they do? Granted, test strips are not drugs that you're required to take or you die (although I know there are those cases, too), but they are required for monitoring the condition so you can change your diet and exercise as needed. And for people who have to take drugs to control their sugars, these strips are necessary to ensure they're taking the right amount over time.

The strips are not covered by insurance (at least, they're not covered by mine, which seems to be better than most), and they are $1 per strip. So every time you test your sugars, it's $1. I want to charge the company every time I get a bad strip and have to redo the test with another strip.

But that's not all . . . They expire. So if you don't use them in time, you get to throw away all those dollars.

I wish I could take this $100 and buy some shoes or earrings, something that I can enjoy. Or even put it toward a family vacation -- $100 is about half of a Southwest ticket to just about anywhere from KS.

Instead, I get to buy strips.

No comments: