Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Amazing Zipline Excursion - Not

*** Warning: Contains references to vomit and diarrhea. Read at your own risk. *** 

I was planning to write today about our amazing zipline adventure through the canopy. Ziplining through the rain forest is something I have wanted to do for about 10 years, ever since my friends Karla and Paul told me about their trip to Costa Rica. The trip was planned for today.

Sam, the smallish, but not smallest, iguana
And I had to stay at the Compound enduring burning stomach pain while almost everyone else went. I lay awake most of the night trying to convince myself that throwing up would really make me feel so much better. However, I have not vomited in 24 years, and I am apparently (and quite happily) out of practice. I failed in the convincing, so I tried to make it go through the other way. I have never wished for diarrhea like I did last night. Please, please, please . . .

Unfortunately, it appears that my GI system had turned off. Nothing was going anywhere. I endured the racing heartbeat followed by the super-slow, irregular, pounding heartbeat, the sweating, the chills, the nausea, hoping, hoping, hoping that I would feel better by morning.

I didn't, and while I'm starting to feel better, I'm still not back to normal. However, I am going to hike through the rain forest tomorrow no matter what. I may need to rest every 2 minutes, but I am not letting another day go by with me just sitting. Granted, I am sitting among beauty and watching iguanas, which is pretty damn cool, even with an upset stomach.

It looks like I will get to zipline on Thursday or Friday. Cross your fingers for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Careful what you wish for, that diarrhea may kick in while in the middle of the jungle :). Fingers crossed for you, best of luck. You are taking one of my buck list trips!
Kim

Cait said...

SAME THING happened to me in Costa Rica after eating tilapia! We were supposed to hike to a waterfall the next day. The hike was hard but I did it just because It was my only chance.

Hope you feel better by the morning!