Sunday, March 14, 2010

Avocado Mango Salad

One of my own concoctions -- very proud of it.

Throw together the following ingredients:
  • About 2 handfuls of spinach
  • 2 avocados, diced
  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
  • About 1/3 cup red onion, sliced
  • Candied walnuts*
  • Red pepper flakes (optional)
For dressing, I used the following recipe; it's the balsamic vinaigrette we always use. However, I think this salad would also be good with a sweeter dressing or a lime-based one.


Shake or blend the following:
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp agave syrup (or honey)
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3-1/2 Tbsp peanut oil
* You may have a better way of making candied walnuts, but this is how I did it: throw some walnuts in a small skillet over med-low heat. Pour sugar over them. Stir regularly, especially as the sugar starts to harden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds absolutely Heavenly.

Anonymous said...

I'm making this as soon as I get home. It's about as un-Italian as you can get and I'm SO EXCITED!